19 October 2010

redesign

Cross stitch sometimes gets a bad rap, especially here in the U.S., with the predominance of cutesy kits in craft stores and overly sweet projects in magazines. There's the exception to be sure, but in general, I haven't been impressed with what I've seen.

So, I was happy to be asked to review the redesign of Cross Stitcher magazine. My big concern, since this is a British magazine, was whether we could buy it here in the U.S. They assured me that it's available in some Borders stores (although, sadly, not in mine) and also by subscription for £79.99. Or you can purchase digital editions— single issues for £6.70 and a 13-issue subscription for £60. But, with the exchange rate currently not in our favor, the best deal is at Magazine Nook for $23.39 with free shipping. If you're located in the UK, of course, you shouldn't have problems finding it on the newsstand. The redesign debuts with the current issue (Issue 232 November 2010).

CrossStitcher Magazine

I'm still awaiting my printed issue to arrive by mail but I got a chance to preview an online sample. I'm impressed, both with the colorful and fun design of the magazine and with the projects. The magazine opens with a free chart for embroidering gingham heart sachets (each issue includes a free project pattern). Following are lots more fun projects—like felt baby booties (so cute), a realistic Jack Russell cushion, covered buttons, the ever-popular owls, and designs for Christmas cards. Every issue has a section called The Savvy Stitcher—this time it features applique, using Bondaweb, stitching basics, and alphabet charts for personalizing your projects.

Savvy Stitcher

Be sure to visit their website, sign up to receive their newsletter, and become a fan on Facebook. They offer lots of freebies on all of these and a chance to interact with other readers and stitching fans.

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Thanks for the review. I don't think I'll subscribe at that price but I'm off to the website to check it out. :)

Rachel said...

I love love love this issue, the gingham hearts are darling and I can't wait until the next issue to stitch the blue and white bird bunting :)

Parsley said...

The cover of the magazine has me just drooling! I hope I can find a copy.

Christine said...

I just discovered Cross Stitcher magazine recently as my JoAnn's store had the September issue. I was instantly hooked and loved the quirky designs. It also gave me some great resources for patterns I could purchase from the UK. Not sure if I'm going to subscribe yet, but I'm def. hunting for the next issue.

- Christine
whatsupcupcake.blogspot.com

janet said...

Oh, good to know about Joann - I hadn't thought to look there, but they do seem to have the latest craft and needlework magazines lately.

Mlle. Deedee said...

Oooh I am definitely going to pick up a copy of this!! I'm a complete beginner so hopefully this will lead me in the right direction!!

janet said...

Cross stitch is really very easy to do so it's the perfect place for a beginner to start!